View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 How to get a gun to fire another gun? 

Post How to get a gun to fire another gun?
I have an idea for a weapon but I can't seem to figure out how to make a gun fire another gun, if thats even possible.

Specifically a stone.

Help?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Post Re: How to get a gun to fire another gun?
I would suggest making the weapon fire a round designed to be a stone, rather than fire a stone weapon.

In more specific terms, make a round with low sharps, medium mass and high integrity and use the stone sprite.

If you're really stuck on making a gun-firing gun, go tear apart Spacepope's Blunderbuss-Launcher, with his permission of course.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Theseus wrote:
I would suggest making the weapon fire a round designed to be a stone, rather than fire a stone weapon.

In more specific terms, make a round with low sharps, medium mass and high integrity and use the stone sprite.

If you're really stuck on making a gun-firing gun, go tear apart Spacepope's Blunderbuss-Launcher, with his permission of course.

How exactly do I add in a stone sprite? I'm currently looking at ammo.ini in the round section and there is no Sprite = blah blah part for the specific round

Im super new at this so I dont know much about modding :P

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

I actually don't know it's exact location, give me a second to noob around in the Base.rte/Ronin.rte and I'll tell you where to find it.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Theseus wrote:
I actually don't know it's exact location, give me a second to noob around in the Base.rte/Ronin.rte and I'll tell you where to find it.

Nah, I have the sprite, its just i dont know how to put it as a round.

:P

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:06 pm
happy carebear mom

I do believe all you have to do to fire a gun is in the round definition put "Particle = HDFirearm", then the name of the gun, or "Particle = TDExplosive" if you wanted to use the stone in the bombs tab.

If you want the gun to shoot after being fired, that's more complicated. You'd have to make the gun a MOSRotating or TDExplosive and have it gib at a certain time after launch into either just the particles it fires or a dummy gun that disappears after a while and the particles.

How pleasant to find this was a lot simpler than I thought.
Copy a definition of a MOSRotating, like one of the gibs, then reduce the mass to under 5 or so (much more and you run into problems with recoil) and put in the round definition "Particle = MOSRotating" and "CopyOf = X" where X is the PresetName of your stone MOSRot.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Duh102 wrote:
I do believe all you have to do to fire a gun is in the round definition put "Particle = HDFirearm", then the name of the gun, or "Particle = TDExplosive" if you wanted to use the stone in the bombs tab.

If you want the gun to shoot after being fired, that's more complicated. You'd have to make the gun a MOSRotating or TDExplosive and have it gib at a certain time after launch into either just the particles it fires or a dummy gun that disappears after a while and the particles.

Copy a definition of a MOSRotating, like one of the gibs, then reduce the mass to under 5 or so (much more and you run into problems with recoil) and put in the round definition "Particle = MOSRotating" and "CopyOf = X" where X is the PresetName of your stone MOSRot.

You typed it better than I did, good job.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Duh102 wrote:

Would it be possible to elaborate?

I'm not sure I catch your drift.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
If you want there's a relatively unused-ish chocolate sprite in the Ronin file. The thing it's used for is unused anyway.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:35 pm
happy carebear mom

Alrighty, I'll go from square one and you can glean what you need.

To make the MOSRotating, you'll need a definition something like this in the .ini where you have your gun, but above it so that you can reference it. Don't copy the text from the forum, as it replaces tabs with two or three spaces.
Code:
AddEffect = MOSRotating
   PresetName = Drop Ship Hull Panel Gib A
   Mass = 285.50
   Sharpness = 1
   HitsMOs = 1
   GetsHitByMOs = 0
   SpriteFile = ContentFile
      FilePath = Base.rte/Actors/DropShips/HullPanelGibA.bmp
   FrameCount = 1
   SpriteOffset = Vector
      X = -13
      Y = -13
   AngularVel = 6
   AtomGroup = AtomGroup
      AutoGenerate = 1
      Material = Material
         CopyOf = Military Stuff
      Resolution = 8
      Depth = 0
   DeepGroup = AtomGroup
      AutoGenerate = 1
      Material = Material
         CopyOf = Civilian Stuff
      Resolution = 8
      Depth = 4
   DeepCheck = 0

This sets up a MOSRotating identical to a gib for the Dropship Mk I.
Now, change the SpriteFile to where the rock in Ronin.rte is and change the SpriteOffset to be negative half of the sprite's width and length. A sprite file of dimensions 8x9 would turn out to be (-4,-4.5), or (-4,-5) if you are of the opinion that half of a pixel does not exist. Some people are, I'm not.
Then, change the Mass to be 5 or under (but not too low, otherwise it won't affect anything) and change the PresetName to something unique, like "Rock Chucker Gun Rock".
Next, make a Round definition like so. Again, type it rather than copy it, the forum messes with the tabs.
Code:
AddAmmo = Round
   PresetName = Round Rock Chucker Gun
   ParticleCount = 1
   Particle = MOSRotating
      CopyOf = Rock Chucker Gun Rock
   Shell = None
   FireVelocity = 100
   ShellVelocity = 0
   Separation = 0

As you can see, we used the data type of the rock in "Particle =" to tell it we're going to put a MOSRotating next instead of a MOPixel or MOSParticle or whatever. Remember that the data type is very important and you'll save yourself quite a few "Could not find XXXXXX" errors.
Now, stick that round in a magazine and that magazine in a gun and you'll have yourself a rock shooting gun.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 am

Guys.

Guys.

You can just shoot the rock.

In the round code:
Particle = TDExplosive
____CopyOf = Stone

It's messy and lazy, but if that's fine by you then this is just two lines you have to type.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 am

Comment wrote:
Guys.

Guys.

You can just shoot the rock.

In the round code:
Particle = TDExplosive
____CopyOf = Stone

It's messy and lazy, but if that's fine by you then this is just two lines you have to type.

The only problem with this is the underscores..... but in all seriousness, the problem is you can still see the "Stone" above it with the arrows pointing at it for "pick me up!"

You can do round = TDE, round = helddevice, round=mosr, etc. you can make a gun that shoots brains! I honestly don't see how this has taken so many posts to get to.

1: Make what you want the gun to shoot
2: round = whatever 1 was
3: Magazine
4: Gun that uses magazine, that uses round, round is whatever you want.

Thats all that needed to be said, and i'm honestly disappointed in the forums at needing 11 (12 now) posts to say that!

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

Theseus wrote:

Tear my weapon apart,i'll be a great honour.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]