View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Official Christmas Mod Contest | Submissions closed! 
happy carebear mom

Post Official Christmas Mod Contest | Submissions closed!

Submissions for you to play with!
Mediafire
OR
Attachment:
ChristmasMC_09.rar [1.76 MiB]
Downloaded 684 times

And mods that arrived too late to be judged but deserve your attention:
Attachment:
SantaKrauser.rte.rar [31.72 KiB]
Downloaded 489 times

(this is an updated, better version of the one in the official grabbag)
Attachment:
OMGWTFHUEG.rte.rar [49.65 KiB]
Downloaded 547 times

Attachment:
Cookies.rte.rar [1.14 MiB]
Downloaded 486 times

What's this? A contest at this hour? Indeed! Weasel himself proposed this contest, a bit different from previous contests. The rules are changed, teams are allowed, judges will replace community voting, and he's advertising in other communities. Also, he hinted at swag as possible prizes...
So, without further ado, the contest:

The theme of this contest is: Christmas
Mod Cortex Command to celebrate in Christmassy fashion.
Make it snow, give your troops Christmas hats, exploding presents, Santa sled transports, whatever you think would make the game most festive!

To submit a mod, PM me (Duh102), your finished product before the submission deadline (below).

Because the rules are different for this contest than for the last, please see the rules below even if you have seen them before.

For those of you who are from outside of our forum, welcome! If you have not modded Cortex Command before, I would encourage you to visit our Mod Making subforum and the Wiki.

The timetable for this contest is as follows:

Modding begins
November 1st

Modding ends and judgment begins
December 21st
11:59 GMT
(Mods are due in my PM box by this, I'll go by post date)

If you are new to contests on this forum, please take note!
Mod contest submissions are required to be anonymous to attempt to reduce aggression and (in user-voted contests) voter bias. Please keep details, beta versions, and screenshots of your mods within your team until after judgment. This includes disqualified entries, if they made it to the judging board and are found to be lacking.
However, this does not restrict you from asking for help, especially if you are new to modding Cortex Command. The Mod Making forum and Wiki are at your disposal.

For those of you who are familiar with previous mod contests, you will notice I said "team". That is right, you may join up into a team if you like. However, you cannot be a member of any other team once you join one.

Because you can submit as a team this contest, I require you to send me a PM from the team leader with the names of all of your members. Listed roles are optional but encouraged, so that I can contact the team leader instead of the graphic artist if for whatever reason I need to get in touch with you.

Main Rules
Breaking these equates to an automatic disqualification.
1. No cracks. You do not have to submit an entire Cortex Command folder, but you may if you wish to modify basegame files to, say, change the main menu. However, if you do submit the entire folder, it cannot be a cracked version or you will be disqualified immediately, no resubmissions accepted.

1.b RTE Submissions, unless it's a TC. If you are not changing basegame files to change the appearance of the entire game, you must submit mods in .rte form. You may reference objects from the basegame files, but you cannot modify them unless as stated you are converting the entire game.

2. Absolutely no edits of others teams' work. Note that I am trusting you here. If it turns out you did break this trust, your prize will be officially revoked. But, more importantly, your reputation would be ruined. A mod contest is not worth your reputation.

Submission Rules
To enter this contest, send me a pm with the names of your team members, and, come submission day, another with your mod attached or linked from an external hosting site.

Any time up to the submission date (above) you may send me a PM with your mod. I encourage you to send me only one submission to reduce the chance of version confusion, but I will accept resubmissions if you discover a bug or add a new feature before the submission date.
When the submission cutoff date is reached, I will open a new topic and upload all the mods for public review.

Compatibility
As much as possible, try to make your mod compatible with both Mac and Windows. Some help with compatibility is smallified below.
For Mac compatibility, the main factor is using / above \. If you accidentally use a \, your mod will not work on macs. Also of concern is the difference in file structure between Windows and Mac, if you plan to reference sounds, code, or sprites directly from the basegame .rtes.
For Windows compatibility, the main concern is file references. The Mac and Windows basegame .rtes have had their contents reorganized and guns renamed, so there may not be a Base.rte/Effects/BlueTiny.bmp on the Mac. It might've been changed to Base.rte/Effects/Glows/BlueTiny.bmp. The easiest way to avoid this is to copy all resources you want to use from basegame .rtes into your mod and reference them from your .rte.

Prizes
Upon completion of judging, winners in each place will receive a commemorative image as well as all the bragging rights that go with each place. Additionally, all contestants' mods will be uploaded to the hall of fame topic.

Notes
-Because this is an official contest, there will not be voter review but judge review. The process may take only a few hours or it may take days. Please be patient and check back often to see the proceedings.

Once more, our Mod Making subforum and Wiki are at your disposal.
Good luck, and make something awesome!

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:01 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Official Christmas Mod Contest
I LURV KRISTMAS!
I can only dream at what this contest may pump out, if we get lucky. *Santabot*

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 am
Profile WWW

I'm open for joining a team.
I'll probably only really be able to attend meetings or anything like that on weekends, maybe sometimes during the week, I can do what I do all week though.
As for what I do, I'm a jack-of-all-trades, but mainly spriting.

How about December 21 instead? Just a little closer to Christmas, and after the weekend so teams could get their crap together before the deadline.

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 am
Profile WWW

I'm up for joining a team, because I cant finish a contest by my self...... hehe I'm decent at spriting, pretty good at coding, but am non-literate in lua. I can make most meeting unless they are during school hours

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 am

I'm up for a team. I have minimal spriting skills and even less coding skills.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am

Teams sound nice. I can do coding and moderate Lua scripting, but can barely sprite. I have no idea what I could for a Christmas theme though.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:00 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

I'm down for scripting/.ini coding unless I get an idea of my own.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 am
happy carebear mom

CrazyMLC wrote:
How about December 21 instead?

I shall petition Weasel for this.

Also, just making sure you all know, any mod size from single actor to a TC changing the GUI of the game is accepted. The judges will be judging on the merits of the mod, so a badly done TC will receive a lower score than a well done actor.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:21 am

TRADITIONAL ROMAN ORGY CHRISTMAS

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 am
Profile YIM

I love looking at that picture and visualize everyone in at as being heavily drunk/hungover.
Hilarious.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I'll be open for joining a team. And i don't suck at offsets and other coding :grin: .

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm available for any team that wants me. Lua is what I do.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:07 pm

i wont have much time to work on this <_<
maybe i'll get some cristmas robots going, or something.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:26 pm
Profile WWW

Let the Festive Modding Begin!!!!

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 am

At first I was like, wait a sec, November 1st to the 15th? This is outrageous! Then I saw it said December 15th...
I don't think we should need more than a month and a half.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next