View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Same team actor collisions. 

Post Same team actor collisions.
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this especially Data's.

I love Cortex Command and I'm really looking forward to the LUA scripting. I have a lot of idea's for a custom campaign but the fact that actors of the same team cannot walk past each other without colliding completely ruins a lot of the plans I have.

I feel that it would be an improvement to the gameplay if AHumans and ACrabs of the same team could pass infront/behind eachother in a hallway, otherwise campaign missions set in close quarters will be turned into lessons in frustration as you try and move your units around eachother just to have them rip eachothers limbs off.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by capnbubs on Thu May 15, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Post Re: Same team actor collisions.
This gets my support, the tight module shafts are not enough for 2 guys, one will mostly die.

Thu May 15, 2008 6:50 pm

That would be good to have. Then you could have multiple guards and such.

Bullets would also have to pass through team mates.

Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Not to mention that if one guy dies, his body will become dirt, and You'll have to DIG through it.

Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm not bothered by friendly fire, that should stay in. I'd just like to be able to swap guards without having to fly out of my base and carefully manouver around eachother.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:25 pm

I really like this idea. I hate putting a group of soldiers in a hall, then they go 'PLA-ZAT' as they try to walk past eachother.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 pm

personally I disagree, it means you could have infinite people in the same space gaurding an entrance, even if they have pistols the could still pwn anything that enters. I wouldn't mind 3 depth layers or up to 3 people in the same space, but that would be awkward to implement.

You wouldn't know how many troops there are in the same space (just a bunch or guns moving up and down :lol: ), you can't select the troop you want, and you cannot see the troop you are controlling. The whole thing about having only one guy is that you have to think about the space and positioning of the troops.

I would accept maybe 3 layers that you can cycle through, as long as you can have layer specific scenery for example; light dirt on layer one, slightly darker dirt on layer two and dark dirt on layer three. this would be GREAT think; bunker modules that affect only one layer... DEPTH, you could say that the MPAM takes up all three layers the AAL pilot takes up one and the AAL marines take up two. Now THAT would be something, also you must be able to make actors change layers (if possible, due to depth).

edit, I was just thinking though weapons and TDEs must affect all layers, otherwise there could be dodgy layer crossing as your trying to switch to the AIs layer but he's trying to switch to yours :lol: , or your friends could use it to evade and it would just get stupid.

edit2, Though friendly fire should only happen on the same layer.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Er, this is already implemented in the game, guys. Turn HitsMOS off everything on your actors. They can still get hit, but now they won't run into people. I just tested it and it works. :twisted:

robolee wrote:
personally I disagree, it means you could have infinite people in the same space gaurding an entrance, even if they have pistols the could still pwn anything that enters. I wouldn't mind 3 depth layers or up to 3 people in the same space, but that would be awkward to implement.

Ignoring all the rest, if people layered like this, a grenade would kill all of them at the same time, thus wasting lots and lots of money.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I think that cortex command is TOO 2D. It's as if it's in a 2d world. If we WANTED to, we could shoot beside someone. and we would aim for the chest, not the arms.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 pm

Quote:
it means you could have infinite people in the same space gaurding an entrance, even if they have pistols the could still pwn anything that enters.

Easy way to satisfy both parties would be to have actors in general slightly push each other, yet still remain completely passable. If two guys were to try to stand in the same place, they would gently push each other away.

EG: Team Fortress 2. Try to pass through a teammate. Now try to stand on the spot he is standing in.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:44 pm
Profile WWW

Perfect Electro, that's exactly what I'd like, not the ability to stand two people in the same place but the ability for two same team actors to pass through eachother without causing any damage.

I don't want people to be able to fire through each other or anything like that.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 pm

capnbubs wrote:
Perfect Electro, that's exactly what I'd like, not the ability to stand two people in the same place but the ability for two same team actors to pass through eachother without causing any damage.

I don't want people to be able to fire through each other or anything like that.

Well it seems like from what Data's said, Lua might actually be able to do that.

All we need now is patience.

Fri May 16, 2008 1:28 am
Profile WWW

Depth

My idealist idea is a 3 layer depth. Really, 5 layers, the 1st and 5th being walls.

The 2nd layer is the left [or right, shut up] side of a room. 3rd is duh, middle, and 4th is the other left or right.

Each level is independent of the next in terms of gunfire, small objects, rubble, debris, and actors. Explosions, Grenades, weapon spreads, and the like will affect other layers though.

Hallways would be wide, narrow, half narrow, of anything in between. This would enable insanely cool pseudo-3D environments, without ruining game play.

Now, unless CC gets an intense memory reduction [Meaning it gets less intensive on the RAM and Processor] this will be usable on only good rigs or small maps.

But, think of the possibilities! Barriers would be usable, but not ruin mobility. Grenades would actually matter more, and destruction would be more intense!

Actors in a deeper standing could be darkened [Glows maybe, no idea] Actors in the foreground would be transparent, as indicators of depth. Actors could independently change depth via AI programming, or ect. for intense cover oriented firefights.

This is a far off dream, but a good one I think.

Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 am
Profile WWW

FalconX, I think that's the single greatest thing posted on DRL in a month.

Not counting Data's Lua post, of course. :3

I support your Pseudo 3D CC 100%.

Who knows, maybe we can do it with Lua...?

Fri May 16, 2008 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Hero

Amen to that suggestion Falcon, I remember it being voiced a while back but in a much less detailed form.

Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next