View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Same team actor collisions. 

Post Re: Same team actor collisions.
i read through through the first page of this topic... then skipped to the 3rd page... and i almost thought i was in a different thread... :P

Anyway: i'd totally support allied actors being able to walk behind/infront of each other though if they were able to shoot through each other i'd be a bit concerned about massed firepower making it too easy for some people to overwhelm their competition... breaking the tactical side of things. i think people would end up just buying a whole lot of Cheap units, equipping them with high ROF Weapons and and mowing the enemy down because of numbers only... then again... that might inspire the creation of a weapon (such as a sniper Rifle) which can thin the ranks of grouped enemies. (pretty sure there already is one.... Numgun? i thought so :wink: )

i guess a balance for this would be to have a certain chance that a friendly bullet passing "through" an ally would hit... depending on the weapon

eg. a sniper rifle is a precision weapon so there would be less chance that it would hit an ally when passing through ( say 8% chance to hit) unless the user wasnt in sharp aim mode i guess. then there would be the smg... High ROF and High Inaccurasy would would increase the chance to hit to about 55% although thats just an example...

that could add a new level of customisation to the mod makers mods too.... having another tool to balance the game if there was another line for all weapons being something like " FriendHitPercent = " followed by a number from one to 100 giving the chance to hit...

i thought about the chance to hit because since the game is 2D, when Actors pass through eachother there would be no change to the units as they passed... implying that they would be rather close together, say shoulder to shoulder...

from that, the chance to hit seemed pretty logical.

Cheers

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

I think that would be much overcomplicating the system.

Actors passing through each other is already possible; it's a choice of mod makers. It can be done to default actors, but Data has decided not to. A major addition to the engine such as adding a virtual Z axis would probably bog it down even further, and distract from the main gameplay.

Personally, the current system is fine, it just needs AI that don't trip over each other.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 am

Grif wrote:
Personally, the current system is fine, it just needs AI that don't trip over each other.

*smashing into each-other and exploding.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:52 am
Profile WWW

Grif wrote:

its pretty difficult for a human player to pass an AI while in a system of tunnels...
needless to say that it can be pretty frustrating when one gets crushed because of lack of space... maybe ill make bunker tunnels twice as high...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 am

Kastor wrote:
Grif wrote:

its pretty difficult for a human player to pass an AI while in a system of tunnels...
needless to say that it can be pretty frustrating when one gets crushed because of lack of space... maybe ill make bunker tunnels twice as high...

Already been done, sorry.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 am

well then, i guess ill download them. Mayhap you could provide me with a linky if you know where the file is?

despite the fact that they have already been made i might make a set of bunker modules for the WIP faction im making (slowly).

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 am

I dont think we can actually delete posts, I cant.
;_;
It's okay if it happens friendo, no big deal. Sometimes the server likes to muck up and do it.
Don't sweat it.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:16 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Jack l2split posts please.

Split it into a new topic in junk. Same as deletion just takes 10000 times longer.

Because drl admins are SMART.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 am

Kastor wrote:
i read through through the first page of this topic... then skipped to the 3rd page... and i almost thought i was in a different thread... :P

Anyway: i'd totally support allied actors being able to walk behind/infront of each other though if they were able to shoot through each other i'd be a bit concerned about massed firepower making it too easy for some people to overwhelm their competition... breaking the tactical side of things. i think people would end up just buying a whole lot of Cheap units, equipping them with high ROF Weapons and and mowing the enemy down because of numbers only... then again... that might inspire the creation of a weapon (such as a sniper Rifle) which can thin the ranks of grouped enemies. (pretty sure there already is one.... Numgun? i thought so :wink: )

i guess a balance for this would be to have a certain chance that a friendly bullet
passing "through" an ally would hit... depending on the weapon

eg. a sniper rifle is a precision weapon so there would be less chance that it would hit an ally when passing through ( say 8% chance to hit) unless the user wasnt in sharp aim mode i guess. then there would be the smg... High ROF and High Inaccurasy would would increase the chance to hit to about 55% although thats just an example...

that could add a new level of customisation to the mod makers mods too.... having another tool to balance the game if there was another line for all weapons being something like " FriendHitPercent = " followed by a number from one to 100 giving the chance to hit...

i thought about the chance to hit because since the game is 2D, when Actors pass through eachother there would be no change to the units as they passed... implying that they would be rather close together, say shoulder to shoulder...

from that, the chance to hit seemed pretty logical.

Cheers

I dont see the enemies mass firing as being a problem,1 or 2 good grenades which cost 5 oz each will take out his whole 10 man squad of like.......1500 oz ?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:12 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4