View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mods: Quality 

Post Mods: Quality
This is really annoying me.

It's not that mods don't have enough quality or whatever, it's fine, it's that people are worshipped for making a good mod when all it takes is effort.

Skill plays a part when it comes to the complex stuff, since most complex stuff only works in glitchy and unpredictable ways, that's not really used too much.

MODS ARE NOT WORSHIP WORTHY

And-

STOP CALLING THE CROBOS OR THE DARKLONES OR THE AAL FACTION GODLIKE OR EPIC.

THERE IS NOTHING GODLIKE ABOUT EFFORT, TRIAL AND ERROR AND SOME PATIENCE.

This goes for newbies as well, trial and error and effort are all there is, That is it. "I'm new so I suck at modding" means nothing, you cannot suck at modding, you just aren't trying or your idea isn't working out how you planned. (In which case you ignored the trial and error part.)

RANDOM NOTE: Spriting needs skill and effort, Offsets and Walkpaths are hard to understand. These three are not just about effort, obviously.

Randomnote2/apology: This is not intended as an attack against the Crobos or any other faction, they are good, but they are not "Godlike". Godlike is when someone makes intergalactic travel, water, land vehicles and a weapon that turns the game into 3D in one mod-pack before Data implements (most of) that stuff himself.

Ugh. I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight or not. I shouldn't be right now, but this seems like the smartest rant I've had yet.

Oh well. I'll just post this to you all and see the ramifications tommorow.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:02 am

Post Re: Mods: Quality
People call mods epic or awesome because they like the mods. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't have the right to call them good.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:19 am

3 solid ♥♥♥♥♥♥ when was the last time you released a good mod?

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:22 am

Seleia wrote:
3 solid mango when was the last time you released a good mod?

Theatre critics don't release theatre.

Also, you're arguing semantics. People can call orange blue. It won't change your perception of the color.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:37 am

THE CROBOS, THE DARKLONES, AND THE AAL FACTION ARE GODLIKE AND EPIC.
Seriously, their
3 solid wrote:
EFFORT, TRIAL AND ERROR AND SOME PATIENCE.

are godlike already.
It's just your opinion, I can call the factions godly if I insist.

Besides, if you were Darlos, Capnbubs, or Numgun, I think you'd like your mod to be called "Godly". I know most people would, including me.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 am

So, you're telling me that some random person could download CC, spend a few weeks testing and creating a mod, and it would automatically be good?

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:52 am

octyl wrote:
So, you're telling me that some random person could download CC, spend a few weeks testing and creating a mod, and it would automatically be good?

Depends what he made. If he made a good mod it would be good. If he made a bad mod it would be bad.

Notice how the definitions of the words "good" and "bad" tend to be accurate.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:02 am

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
Roy-G-Biv wrote:
THE CROBOS, THE DARKLONES, AND THE AAL FACTION ARE GODLIKE AND EPIC.
Seriously, their
3 solid wrote:
EFFORT, TRIAL AND ERROR AND SOME PATIENCE.

are godlike already.
It's just your opinion, I can call the factions godly if I insist.

Besides, if you were Darlos, Capnbubs, or Numgun, I think you'd like your mod to be called "Godly". I know most people would, including me.

Ok, Lieutenant Fagsworth, let's not get our panties in a bunch. First off, I have the utmost respect for numgun's, Darlos's, and Bubs's hard work, and their talent; however, they did not create the earth and the seas, walk upon said seas, turn said seas into wine, and then part said seas of wine in a ridiculous amount of time, nor did they claim to do such. Second, caps lock is cruise control for cool, but you still need to steer, and it doesn't make your points better. Third, you obviously have a mental disorder if you think that what 3 solid termed, in capslock up there, is godlike. Those are the qualities of so many goddamned people. When was the last time you praised Data that way? Prom? Let's go historical. Martin Luther King, Jr., what about him? He'd be pretty offended if you likened him to god. "Inch by inch," as the saying goes. And your little shot there at the end, comparing yourself to those 'big three' is pretty classless.
tl;dr- cut yourself emo, stop getting hyper about everything.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:27 am

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
if you were Darlos, Capnbubs, or Numgun, I think you'd like your mod to be called "Godly". I know most people would, including me.

Oh dear god no. I'd feel like I was being followed by some kind of fan-cult, and being followed by fan-cults makes me feel insecure.

If they like it, fine.

(Hoping I didn't just cause a EDIT: small rift in the commmunity)

And it's stupid thinking that effort is godlike, you need to be a demigod to try something. Jesus christ.

Oops. Pun not intended.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:24 am

I agree, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that their hours of hard work, patience and trial and error were done for no reward but the joy of helping the community.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:16 pm

TrouserDemon wrote:
we shouldn't ignore the fact that their hours of hard work, patience and trial and error were done for no reward but the joy of helping the community.

I agree.

(Godlike is a strange expression isn't it? Godlike isn't being able to make something awesome, that's just mankindlike.)

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:13 pm

I agree with you 3 Solid, while these mods are good, they don't warrant being compared to someone that made the universe in 6 days...

Anywho, if your not good at spriting then try and make a mod that just does something unique and cool. When someone first discovered the "Gravity Gun" exploit (you could make a gun that sucks stuff in) the sprites were horrible, but it was still considered a great mod.

When you really look at it, most of these mods that are considered good just have lots of polish, good spriting seem to make bad mods look good.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:00 pm

I think you are just upset with the internet language. "Godlike" and "EPIC!" are just things that internet sheep love to say. Sure it's irritating, and it makes you question their intelligence, but sometimes you just have to let it go.
Some of those internet sheep could use a lesson in adjectives, hopefully they could learn some new one's. Personally, I like Tim's suggestion of "Good" and "Bad." They are very eloquent.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Can you not tell me to limit my internet lexicon please?

Right now you seem like an ocd 12 year old.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 pm

I like awesome. But that's just because it's said in normal life too.

Epic isn't too bad I guess. Godlike is just plain silly.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next