View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 New DevLog! 

Post New DevLog!
Weeeeeee!
Discuss new DevLog.

http://www.datarealms.com/devlog/cortex-command/in-game-lua-console/

Quote:
Continuing the feature series.. Next up is something really powerful that will open whole new worlds of possibilities for you tinkerers and modders out there: There is now an in-game console that enables so much control of the engine that it’s almost scary.

Quote:
Thanks to the Swedish geniuses at Rasterbar (recommended to us by Klei), we have managed to expose almost all of our internal classes and interfaces to the Lua environment now running in the system. This will eventually mean that some of you will literally be able to create entire new games with the Cortex Command engine by writing elaborate Lua scripts in addition to the content mods and addons you have been limited to so far.

Quote:
Even if you’re not so ambitious, it’s still fun to play around in the console. Like making a guy instantly fly at 100 m/s to the right –\/\/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Quote:
Documentation of all the commands and interfaces will eventually appear in the Data Realms Wiki, so you can easily harness this new power that has been unleashed!

Fawsome.

Last edited by The ClamV2 [Bot] on Thu May 15, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Post Re: New DevLog!
It kicks ass. Lua will rock, proper zombies/portals/headcrabs/altfire/new game modes/looong list.

Thu May 15, 2008 1:54 pm

I guess this'll give me an excuse to learn LUA.
Or at least snippets. I only hope I can survive in this Brave New World.....

Thu May 15, 2008 2:59 pm
Profile WWW

But can you do you follow on lines in the console? Even if you can't it'll still be awesome.

But is it taken away for campaign? because you could just, like, maybe sling all the enemies into the air or just gib them all (both are shown in the picture "GibThis()" and adding velocity, but the gibbing thing didn't work and adding velocity was only shown on own actor).

I'm going to say that it's very very likely that portals will be possible. Mostly because of the fact that trigger events are already programmed (tutorial, starts enemy AI) and changing actor position is shown... so I'm happy.

Thu May 15, 2008 5:12 pm

I can't wait for improved AI, even MORE unique and interesting weapons.... this will be great. :) Finally, we get Gmod-like flexibility with CC!

Thu May 15, 2008 7:19 pm
Profile WWW

So thats what LUA is.

Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

Well this is very funny.
I mean, a clone flying at 10000 MPH!?!?!?!?!?! No modding INI's?!?!?!?!?!

Proves that data didn't go behind his word.
Quote:
I’ll try to get a series of posts going, each talking about a new feature or fix already completed for the upcoming version.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
Well this is very funny.

100 meters per second.
That's something like 225 miles per hour.

And what do you mean no modding inis?
Content modding will still be the same, but with this alongside it.
And making the scripts will probably be more complex than .ini modifications.

Anyways, this is fantastic news.

Anyone concerned with the console being used for cheating, that doesn't matter at all, because there's already so many ways to cheat. And that is NOT a bad thing. Anyone who wants to play the game fair can if they like, but limiting base.rte modifications and console usage would be a terrible mistake. The player/modder/whatever should be free to do whatever they please, and if they want to play fair, they should be able to bring themselves do it.

Advanced AI should be great. And it sounds like someone could make the AI modes toggle depending upon difficulty and team, so maybe hard mode won't have to be a massive onslaught of idiots anymore. Although that can be great fun sometimes.

Also we should get some smarter craft AI. Expanding on the current. "I will lower to about 100 pixels above ground, open the hatch, start moving right a bit, until the cargo has been dumped, and then I'll lift back up." For instance, they could, oh, I don't know, avoid smashing into each other. Maybe even purposely kill enemies with the engines, or avoid hitting friendlies?

I would love to see a coalition attacking aggressively with just a digger and actually being challenging.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu May 15, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Azukki wrote:
Roy-G-Biv wrote:
Well this is very funny.

100 meters per second.
That's something like 225 miles per hour.

And what do you mean no modding inis?
Content modding will still be the same, but with this alongside it.
And making the scripts will probably be more complex than .ini modifications.

Anyways, this is fantastic news.

Also, anyone concerned with the console being used for cheating, that doesn't matter at all, because there's already so many ways to cheat. And that is NOT a bad thing. Anyone who wants to play the game fair can if they like, but limiting base.rte modifications and console usage would be a terrible mistake. The player/modder/whatever should be free to do whatever they please, and if they want to play fair, they should be able to bring themselves do it.

What I mean By "No MODDING INI's?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!"
I mean, I won't have to turn CC off, and open "Scene.ini" to change gravity to make a clone fly 100000 MPH.

The console should be only used for like, "Sandbox" mode.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Oh, I see.
So no constant reloading to test slight alterations.
I thought that you thought the whole .ini system was being replaced by something easier or something.

Hopefully we can also reload individual .inis somehow. I don't know if that could work ingame, but maybe from the menu, and then start a new game?

The console should be availible any time the player wants.
If you want to play a fair game, then simply do so. No one makes you cheat, it's up to you.

There could be an option in settings.ini though, for people who want their console locked out. I suppose it would be good for competitive 2 player.

And if someone cheats in the campaign, they're only rejecting themselves the challenge that makes a serious game mode fun, so just let them.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Quote:
There could be an option in settings.ini though, for people who want their console locked out. I suppose it would be good for competitive 2 player.

How about the opposite. Casual players could play through the game without having access to developer tools. Modders would simply go to setting.ini for their console tool.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 pm
Profile WWW

DATA:"could also make a script to load and run other entire scripts when you hit certain keys, since you have full access to the input manager."

Means you can now have weapons with "multiple projectiles"! (hopefully) press a button to change weapons, although they must look the exact same but shoot and the round is different, it will look like you just press a button and the round changes.

edit; this is amking me edgy... I'm checking the DevLog every few hours... this owns so much.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Quote:
This will eventually mean that some of you will literally be able to create entire new games

That sounds cool.
Who thinks they can make the first CC metal slug clone (as in, a copy of metal slug, not a clone(actor) based on metal slug)???

Or, maybe a TRUE platformer.

Fri May 16, 2008 12:12 am

Electroclan wrote:
Casual players could play through the game without having access to developer tools. Modders would simply go to setting.ini for their console tool.

Yeah, I guess I should have thought that through a little more.
CC's future players probably won't be so commonly also modders. Because vanilla CC and other people's mods will be more than enough fun.

Quote:
you have full access to the input manager.

Quote:
you will be able to tie in to almost every type of event, and cause almost anything to happen as result.

My head is about to explode from these upcoming amazing possibilities.

I seriously cannot imagine this game not becoming a tremendous success now.

Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 am

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
It's a shame that I have no capital, or else I'd seriously consider investing in DataRealms LLC. Even if I never really got the investment back, and they didn't make it big, it'd be nice to be able to give more money, because I think I've now played this game more than any other.
I mean seriously, it blows my mind that by the next build, we'll have a ♥♥♥♥ console to control physics and everything with. Like, as soon as it's in a playable build, then someone could make an AIDS gun that makes an actor only have one kind of wound that does 100 damage instantly, or make a ♥♥♥♥ falling sand game.

Fri May 16, 2008 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next