View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting 

Which mod is best?
Poll ended at Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:12 am
The Reject - BlocksFromAbove.rte 70%  70%  [ 58 ]
ROBOT V ROBOT - RobotVRobot.rte 19%  19%  [ 16 ]
Tradestar Defense - TradestarDefense.rte 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 83

Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting 

Post Re: Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting
zalo wrote:
The Reject - Cool. Took a while for the jetpack though

Worked fine for me. Did you hold 'up' down? You can't pump it like the vanilla CC jetpack.

Edit: misread that. I though this said "took awhile for the jetpack to work, though." Nevermind.

Last edited by Rawtoast on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:42 am
Profile YIM
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I think he meant it took a while for the jetpack to appear.
I would comment on the other mods, but that would sort of give away which one I made.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 am
Profile WWW

The tradestar thing seemed to be broken. It says theres an error in stuff.ini on line 1340 but when I checked it out it had no 1340 nor stuff.ini.
Hell. even Index.ini was missing. Its either the mac playing tricks on me or the download got corrupted. I'll need to use a pc to test it if re-d/l fails.

The others worked fine though. RvR was cool, worked well and all. Pretty fun overall, but was a little too messy and the whole feel and colors were grim.

Reject, had the best presentation and worked flawlessly and was varied in alot of aspects and was pretty tough aswell.
Some things I did not like about minor gameplay things such as the markers where the next item will fall were glows which get blocked by the player if he was infront of it and this often lead to sudden deaths with the player not aware that there was a block falling right on him.

No votes yet, I still gotta test the space thing.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 am

My vote goes to Robots vs Robots; it's the one I had the most fun on.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 am
Profile WWW

Tradestar Defense:
Fairly nice. However, it's just like any other defense shooters out there. Can't see a lot of CC's physics engine put into use. EDIT: Alright, played it some more and found out about more powerups available. But it's just really really hard.

Robot vs Robot:
Fast paced explosions in a room. By that I mean I enjoyed it. It doesn't seem like a total conversion though. And it can get monotone after a few games. It could have been a bigger map, with bonus to pick up and stuff, or objectives other than killing everyone. This has potential which deserves an expansion.

The Reject:
Definitely a TOTAL conversion. And it still gives room for CC features to shine, like the times when you get half your body squished and survive. It was challenging, and the deaths offer good laughs. The bonuses and random falling actors makes the game more unexpected. Definitely my choice. (The regrowth potion crashes my game though) I would suggest giving us a reloadable device that can break through the blocks, otherwise the player is easily trapped. Or at least make the player able to jump over 3 blocks easily.

Last edited by The Decaying Soldat on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am

yeah, tradestar defense doesn't run on a mac at all.

robot v. robot was by far the more fun, but the falling blocks one was innovative. My money's on robots v. robots though.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am
Profile WWW

The Reject was very fun, and really felt like a 'total conversion'. I find it very entertaining to be squished by falling blocks while jumping to avoid them.

Robot Vs. Robot didn't feel like one at all, and it wasn't even all that fun to play with.

Tradestar Defense, although original, is somewhat buggy... If you get the 'FAIL' message, you can still re-select the turret and keep advancing through waves. Still, its pretty fun, way too difficult though.

So, my vote goes for The Reject.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:53 am

I'm surprised that no one made a tower defense mod though.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:58 am

Just tried them out.

Reject: Dear lord. Fun game. End of story.

Tradestar defense: very good. lags like a ♥♥♥♥♥. Remove the stones maybe? they don't do anything as far as I can work out.

RvsR: Not a fan. It's just cortex command at speeds impossible to comprehend.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 pm
happy carebear mom

Tradestar D: My choice. Damn hard, but pretty fun. My only complaint is that if there were any powerups I couldn't find them. Missiles would have been awesome. The little animations below the shield that you never see until after you lose are pretty awesome too.

RvR: Pretty good coding, but I never saw a win condition, so I exited after a few minutes of senseless violence. The rocket faction was OP if you ask me, but w/e.

The Reject: Could be fun I suppose, not so much my kind of game. The blocks are very well scripted though, they always slide right into their slot. For funny anecdotes, I once jumped out of the way of a falling block, but wasn't quite out of the way before it fell all the way and chopped off my legs. I smacked into a nearby contaminated block and fell into a pit, to waste away and wait for the block that ended my pitiful 786 point life.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Got it to work on a mac. It appears I had both corrupted .rar and mac was playing tricks on me.

The fix was simple. In stuff.ini there were several objects with "LifeTime = -1" starting from line 1340. I deleted those lines or uncommented them and it works.

And after I ran it, it was epic win. My vote goes for this one.
My only complaint is that some objects had way too much particle gibs like the missiles which caused heavy lag when those blew up.
And keyboard controls were a little dodgy though, but it was clearly designed for mouse controls and that worked.
And it was bloody hilarious. Especially the final level.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:23 pm

first i would go to the reject since it is really cool and it is a total conversion
but i voted tradestar defence since it was way more addicting for me.
robot vs robot was meh nothing more than cc but in a room

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Duh102 wrote:
but I never saw a win condition
Robot vs Robot ends at first to fifty kills, as noted in the mission description.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

Very good entries we had in this contest. Review below:

Reject:
- Fun: 10/10 - Absolutely cool, if a tad too "sudden death" for my taste. Can provide hours of epicness.
- Looks: 8/10 - Simple yet effective. Would have liked to see a little more variety on the falling blocks, though.
- Replay Value: 10/10 - You just can't get tired of it.
- Convertion-ness: 7/10 - Even with different graphics, it still uses the same movement scheme from vanilla CC, and has similar gameplay.
- Overview: 9/10 - Downright epic. About the maker of this, I think that everyone knows who he is, what he is, why the person he is is what he is, and why you-know-who made him be what he is. Got it?

RobotVRobot:
- Fun: 8/10 - Really cool to blow them robots up, but can get a little repetitive after a while.
- Looks: 7/10 - Used a lot of Vanilla stuff, but the custom spritework was really cool.
- Replay Value: 7/10 - Not the kind of game you'd play three times in a row, but feels good whenever you want a more fast-paced battle.
- Convertion-ness: 3/10 - I think we all agree that this is just vanilla CC in a deathmatch style. I'm only giving you 3 because of the new jetpack scheme.
- Overview: 6.5/10 - It's pretty cool and fun to use, but feels like a bit more effort could have been put into it.

Tradestar Defense:
- Fun: 8/10 - Good fun, but a bit too hard.
- Looks: 10/10 - I have to say, this one was really well-sprited, even though that Awesome Face made things a bit difficult to see sometimes.
- Replay value: 8/10 - The normal version ended up quite fast, but the overlimit thing is what saved this mod.
- Convertion-ness: 8/10 - Pretty much the most different from usual CC, even though it uses the same shooting style.
- Overview: 8.5/10 - Cool game, but very hard. I find it quite funny that no-one managed to find the README.txt, written in capital letters, inside the mod main folder. :???:

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Profile WWW

If the contest was about best multiplayer, RvsR would win clearly.

One thing what was confusing were the powerups in RvsR.
While playing I noticed there were grenades that had a random ability ranging from healing to deadly slaughter. One thing that made the bonus grenades fail is that the whole battle was too fast paced.

Secondly you had no idea about the powerups before hand nor what you'd get when you throw the grenade anyways. Like you decide to heal your robot, but it kills you instead or you throw to kill someone, but it heals them instead.
While funny, it makes the grenades dubious to use.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next