View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting 

Which mod is best?
Poll ended at Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:12 am
The Reject - BlocksFromAbove.rte 70%  70%  [ 58 ]
ROBOT V ROBOT - RobotVRobot.rte 19%  19%  [ 16 ]
Tradestar Defense - TradestarDefense.rte 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 83

Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting 

Post Re: Total Conversion Contest 1 | Voting
numgun wrote:
Larger map would be great in RvsR. I'd say the current one is a bit too cramped since often the opposing sides are directly in others view and the units get destroyed nearly instantly without much ability to move them around. The larger units could use a better jetpack too.

Yeah I'd definitely like a larger map,

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:35 am

RvR gives the dummies mostly retarded weapons. The Dreadnoughts do nothing.
Tradestar Defense lagged on my computer for the first wave, and seemed to have no reasoning behind the changes from wave to wave. Also it was infuriatingly hard to aimdeal damage even though you hit things.
Reject was ♥♥♥♥ awesome except it always makes you get stuck in a pit eventually, and the jump controls in CC are weird to begin with. It's hard to jump out of a 2-deep 1-wide pit, and often the side walls will get more blocks before you manage it (if the game doesn't just kill you). The random bodies are completely unnecessary on difficulties higher than Normal.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 pm

The Reject has my vote because of the complete conversioness. R-Vs-R is basicly CC, and the turret one is kinda boring.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Tradestar Defense = Non mac compatible.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Tradestar defenses got my vote! I like the way he designed everything. Reject, and Robo felt a bit bland in comparison. The duke nukem music, the bunker design, the over the top shooting things (Zombies in space!?). It all really got my attention. Although I need to find some way to cheat. I can't get very far at all. :roll:

My second choice would have been robot VS robot. It was a fun shoot 'em up sorta thing. It didn't really feel too polished though. But in the end, the fun is what mattered. :)

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm voting The Reject, because it felt like the biggest conversion. But I could not reach a "win," ever. Giving the player a digger allowed me to "beat" the hardest mode though, diving and hiding under hollowed-out blocks is pretty fun too. Blocks could settle into megametal to defeat that with vanilla tools.

I really liked Tradestar Defense, but it did not feel complete. (it also kicked my ass, which was fun, sorta. Cheating was necessary to face the final wave and win.)

RvsR was pretty cool, and I'll be keeping it around to play with friends, but felt too cramped and fast (which was the point, I think). Bigger maps could make this something pretty awesome.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 am

I'm not voting since:

Blocks from Above was just not entertaining, Robot V Robot was too short and the Tradestar one was too hard in my opinion.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 am

For me the Reject, because it brings another skill out: the pure finger-bleeding madness of the tap timing. But some of the cons is that sometimes I mistakenly try to pick up something and chose buy instead, that froze the game. But I can see that it has a whole boatload of potential.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

its 6 AM and i havent been to sleep. DLed, will check in morning.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
its 6 AM and i havent been to sleep. DLed, will check in morning.

Then uhh why did you post?

Robot V Robot was very much still CC, just crammed into a tiny room and set to ridiculous pace. I wouldn't call it a total conversion, it's more like a game mode. It wasn't very fun, as you were dead and had to switch actors every fifth second. I quite frankly didn't like it.

The Reject wasn't CC, nor was it an original game. But it was a fun and replayable game, with fairly good spriting and sounds.

Tradestar Defense was a bit of fun for a while, but holding the trigger and aiming gets old fast, especially when it has hardly any challenge behind it. No Originality. I've played it twice now and I don't think I'll play it again.

My vote's going to the Reject for being a total conversion, fun, and replayable.
And I'll be deleting the other two now.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 pm

So neither grif nor lafe could get an entry in on time?

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Scope0 wrote:
So neither grif nor lafe could get an entry in on time?
hilarious isnt it?

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 pm
Profile WWW

My vote goes to the reject, it's the most fun I've ever had with a CC mod. The robot vs robot was just kinda...not a total conversion, and the tradestar defense was uber-laggy(to the point of being unplayable).

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Im going to vote by scoring them. Score'd by functionality: does it work, does it have bugs, does it lag, go under this category. Enjoyability: Is it fun to play, Bad sprites and sounds go under this as well, but bad sprites can be overwhelmed by gameplay. lag does NOT go here, in a perfect world there would be no lag. assume as much. and lastly originality: is this a new idea.

Maximum score of 15

1: Functionality

Blocky-fally-puzzle-thing: 3 out of 5
You need hands to pick up the jetpack. also it occasionally builds 2 towers around me that i can't climb , so i'm stuck in a tube and it never adds a level, then it crushes me with a single an-avoidable block. but then again, checking for "is the player already screwed" would be a bad idea. however making sure that it doesn't only drop on one space 8 times in a row would fix the need for that, as would an 'is there a 5 foot deep hole? fill it' feature.

Robots smashing eachother with exploding things that bounce around: 1/5
the missiles can bounce off of walls instead of exploding, and the random teleporting in, can teleport things to the same place as something else, crushing 1 or both of them. shooting something with a missile at point blank should never kill you and NOT them. the weapons are bugged, the AI is bugged, the teleporting is bugged. very bad. its only not a 0/5 because it doesn't crash and you cant seem to escape the map.

dafred turret shooty game 4/5.
the only glitches I found is that you can make the astroids and missiles and stuff go back up by shooting them the right way, and the offsets are all buggy. you should not be able to make a huge missile do a 180 by shooting it with a laser. the ground is a bit wonkey, theres an object that can be wounded that wont seem to die in the bottom right, and its too difficult to see your score, let alone understand what causes it. HOWEVER None of this affects playability in any negative way other than the scores and the occasional WTF buggy distractions. oh yes, and if you die, you can re-select yourself and keep playing till wave 5.

#2! Playability

blocky fally jumpy game 4/5

if your lucky you can play this until you want to cut out your eyes, the only real problem is the lack of a jet pack. in the difficulty descriptions it says for 'people who are good at CC', when most people don't use zombies and skeletons without jetpacks only. it should have said "for people who are good at CC without jetpacks" furthermore, you can't CLIMB, you have to jump. the blocks should have been smaller, and spaced, with a ladder on the sides so that you could climb. this would also fix the 'bottomless pit' bug.

Robot smashy battle thing 2/5
the missiles bounce making them to weak, the lasers bounce making THEM to weak, and the fact that you can die in an instant makes it difficult to play, with the addition of how difficult it is to select a unit, it makes it near IMPOSSIBLE to play, and that makes it thoroughly unenjoyable. some people however will be addicted to this.

dafreds laser turret shooty game 5/5
this has suprizingly good replay value. i could never make it past wave *number threeeeeee* without dying, and I couldn't figure out why. the only reason this is still 5/5 is actually because of one of the only glitches. that is the play till wave 5 DATA!! nothing in this mod was original content though, it was either core CC content, a re-color of vanilla content, or... stuff that I think i've seen before in other mods...

Originality

Blocky fally sky dodgeums game 1/5
kubos / Precipice much? the only things different about this mod, and this game, is that CC can't really do Isometric, you can't push the boxes, and you dont get scored by what you step on. the bombs are replaced with poison gas, that limits about the same space. and further more this isn't the only 'blocks fall from the sky... climb!' game there is, its just the most recent one I know of. I give this a 1 only because it's unique in that its limited by CC's engine and has less/different features. To be honest though, I wouldn't be surprised if the creator had never heard of this game. it just goes to show that there's really no Original ideas anymore.

Robots shoot rubber missiles at eachother in super grey land 2/5
yeah infinitely spawning soldiers on several teams killing eachother to get the most kills is not a unique idea, its been done in starcraft, warcraft, cheezey flash games, and... well... CC... in fact this game is the most like CC of any of these. this is such an old idea because its such a basic idea. it doesn't really make a new game out of CC, its just CC with less features and random spawn to keep it going. I only gave it a 2 instead of a 1, because I havent seen this idea since WC3, or CC.

Dafred's super happy turret defense. 0/5
a major part of Deadspace is EXACTLY like this, where you have to shoot at asteroids, launched projectiles, small enemies, and a boss, from a turret, because your shields are to weak ATM. not only that but, Asteroids + missile command. there was a made-by-blizzard multiplayer scenario that CAME WITH STARCRAFT that tries to be this game. you get a base at the bottom, stuff comes from the top, defend it somehow. it seems like nothing in this was an original idea! only the sprites of the turret and base are vaguely unique, everything else was made by someone else, and the last wave, is just a cortex-command based MEME! the last boss is Data! oh how freaking original is that that it hasn't been joked about by every member of the forums. i'd give this game a 1/5 except how pissed it makes me that its addicting because it follows someone else's working and at some point original idea. It pisses me off that you used something because 'you already know it works' that's the very definition of lazy, and its why there's nolonger any good games.

This is the very definition of a formula game, and it makes me rage.

Total scores!
blocks fall thingey - 3/5 4/5 1/5 = 8/15
robot battle thingey - 1/5 2/5 2/5 = 5/15
Dafred's formula game - 4/5 5/5 0/5 = 9/5

wow.... I am totally confused by this, the one that makes me absolutely RAGE because its a formula game, got the highest score. I guess half-assed formulas are still better than half-baked ideas.

Edit---
I just checked all the extras for the one i voted on and... mad dafred... I lolled... also was that fist of the north star? after reading the stuff that came with it, I'm changing my score for the originality from a 0/5 to a 2/5. apparently the creator wasn't going for original at all, and was just trying to make it fun. also thanks for the one .ogg. best music of any sonic game, how didja know. (i play with music off)

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Usually you deal with the pit with wall jumps.

Also, Miles, from how it sounds it's originality is 0.
http://www.addictinggames.com/avalanche.html

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next