View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 License Key Manager 

Post License Key Manager
I switch between computers a lot since I'm at a university, both for work and otherwise since I run Ubuntu at home which is not engineering friendly. So I run into the problem a fair amount that I'll forget to deactivate my key at a computer and need to self-reset my key if I want to play on another. If it hasn't already been used too recently. (My mind is like a sieve

CC can't be run from a flash drive well I'm guessing. Does anyone have ideas on how I can automate the unregistration every time I exit, or on making CC "portable" in that I don't have to install it every time, and can keep a complete copy with me at all times?

*Guessing the second idea is against terms of use, but a script to register and un-register would be a god send.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 pm
happy carebear mom

Post Re: License Key Manager
Cortex Command launcher works on windows. For mac, you'd have to make your own version.
Not sure where the thread is for the launcher, but here's the exe. Just stick it in the root Cortex directory and use it instead of CortexCommand.exe.
Attachment:
Launcher for Cortex Command.rar [18.21 KiB]
Downloaded 732 times

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Also, I'm sure Data's not going to sue you if you put your copy on a Flash Drive as opposed to just having multiple installs.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Oh, I misread that part. Yeah, you can totally run from a flash drive. You still have to use the register/unregister part, through the launcher or not, but you can do it.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh right right. Sorry about the flash drive bit. I remember trying to run CC from a networked drive, that was the horrible idea. Thanks guys!

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 am

UPDATE: The script was previously trying to unregister CC twice but should now work properly.

Here's a simple batch script to automatically register and unregister CC. Just create an empty text file and copy and paste the code below into it, then rename the file to *.bat(e.g. AutoRegCC.bat). It should automatically find CC in any of its default directories, but if it doesn't, just place the .bat file in your CC folder and put a shortcut on your desktop. I've done my best to test it, but please tell me if something doesn't work properly.

Code:
@echo off
if exist "Cortex Command.exe" (
   set GamePath=".\"
)else if exist "C:\Program Files\DataRealms\Cortex Command\Cortex Command.exe" (
   set GamePath="C:\Program Files\Data Realms\Cortex Command\"
)else if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Data Realms\Cortex Command\Cortex Command.exe" (
   set GamePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Data Realms\Cortex Command\"
)else if exist "C:\Users\Public\Games\Cortex Command\Cortex Command.exe" (
   set GamePath="C:\Users\Public\Games\Cortex Command\"
)
echo Registering...
cd %GamePath%
"Cortex Command.exe" -register
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 (
   echo *** ERROR: Your key could not be registered on this computer at this time!
) ELSE IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
   echo *** ALREADY REGISTERED! Enjoy the unlocked game!
) ELSE (
   echo *** SUCCESS: Your key has been registered! You can now play the game unlocked.
)
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Running Cortex Command...
"Cortex Command.exe"
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Unregistering...
"Unregister.bat"

P.S. I'm not sure if this will still work when CC fails to exit cleanly.

Last edited by WonderCody on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Isn't this some kind of crack?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:22 pm
happy carebear mom

Yes, a method to register your game before you play it and unregister after you're done playing is definitely a crack.

No.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Duh102 wrote:
Yes, a method to register your game before you play it and unregister after you're done playing is definitely a crack.

No.

I mean that script. How does it register your game? It doesn't know your register code.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm
happy carebear mom

Yes it does. It stores it in settings.ini. That is why it's very important never to post the entirety of your settings.ini.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Running the register and unregister batch files included with the game with another batch file is hardly a crack

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 am

joost1120 wrote:
I mean that script. How does it register your game? It doesn't know your register code.

It just runs Cortex Command with some special flags(-register and -unregister). The script itself does nothing but find CC and then tell it to register, run, and then unregister. Cortex Command does the actual registration process and handles the license key. And, as Grif pointed out, it registers and unregisters using code nearly identical(a pause command is removed) to the code in the Register.bat and Unregister.bat files installed with Cortex Command. In fact, since the update, it uses Unregister.bat itself for unregistration(It did that in the first version too, but that was unintentional. :oops:).

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]