View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 zalo's Little Lua Mods Now with Infininade! 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Time Capsule
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
wow copy of vanilla content with a single line of lua added, that really qualifies as a complete and origional mod. This is why I hate lua, and this forums views of it.

Versus zalo's normal mods, which are copies of vanilla content with single cool things added.

Sat May 16, 2009 2:01 am

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
wow copy of vanilla content with a single line of lua added, that really qualifies as a complete and origional mod. This is why I hate lua, and this forums views of it.

If you don't like a mod, don't download it.

Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 am

The Mind wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

Honestly, I dont really think you could do this. And this is why Lua is FUN, because of that. And yes it is a mini-mod, but this is the start of lua coming out, so not all mods are gunna be really big ones. goodness.

Lua promissed us big, and gave us a bunch of little. your getting excited about a bunch of little crap. great you can fiddle with existing variables.

I will be impressed with use of lua in CC if 4 conditions are met.

1) Complex math calculation (Check)
2) Complex, nested If/Then/Else statements (I do not know if lua can do that, in cortex command)
3) Complex Draw functions (Draw sprite, Draw line, Draw Polygon, etc) (It can print text, thats all I know)
4) Creating new variables.

If I can make a statment in lua that is
Create variable and set to 0, actor at area and If variable = 0, then do this, and set variable to 1, else if variable = 1 and actor not at location then variable = 2.
Then have another object with another lua script check that variable, and do things based on it.

So far I know teleporters use an If then, but is it nested? i dont think so, it doesn't look like it at a glance, it looks like just a sequence of steps if 1 condition is met. How do you define multiple conditions in lua?

from what I've done, Lua in CC and actual programing in lua, look nothing alike other than the names of a few statements. we need a CC specific Lua tutorial, AND we need people to not focus on JUST lua.

for example, this time capsule could have been at least a re-color, make it blue or something, we have a ton of blue in the CC pallet that NEVER gets used. He didn't re-sprite it, he didn't add anything except a single line of lua. that is modding laziness at its best and worst. THIS is the problem I have with lua. people are using it as an excuse to be lazy, just because "I worked hard to learn lua" when really you just learned just enough to get by in CC alone. Lets see someone make Lua scripted, event based AI, that involves telling actors to move to relative cordinates and switch weapons, and aim at fixed angles. you know, scripted old-school boss-fights, after all this is technically a retro game as stated on the MAIN PAGE.

Other than the fact that it is using 2d sprites, nothing about this game is retro, except the occasional mod, and the fact that it was mindless fun, until certain people started going all "oh realism" "oh serious lua scripting" "oh I'm better because this"

I'm sorry... I just realized I've been screaming at everyone all day because everyones ego has inflated with the release of the build, which seems to happen at every new release... Once I finish some replies i'm gonna go crawl under a rock and work on the tau mod with 411570N3 until the mod making contest is finished and peoples ego's have died because no you in fact can NOT do everything with lua, you are not god, you suck just as much as you used to, you just have more tools to suck with.

Oh and as for the "if you don't like a mod don't download it"

I didn't I just read the thread and saw that someone posted that, yes, all you did is add this ONE line of code that made it so fantastic.

I don't waste time on mods that just have a 'pic unrelated lol' and a 'oh yeah this is just a copy of vanilla content with some lua added'. No effort = no download. ever.

Sat May 16, 2009 2:31 am
Profile YIM WWW

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
big ♥♥♥♥ ugly misspelled rant here

Well excuuuuuuuse Zalo, princess!
So, your point is what? Making a fun, functional and small mod is a bad thing?
Take your ADHD meds and stop freaking out.

Please don't fan the flames.

Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 am

If it's fun, it doesn't need to be complicated. If you can make something work the way you want it to without making it complicated, why not have it be simple?

Sat May 16, 2009 5:58 am

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
long rant about lua

Well, 3 out of 4 ain't that bad is it? If you had even bothered to look at any CC lua code ever you'd see that. Drawing functions are not yet in, but you can still spawn glows and stuff with lua. Also, these minimods are useful in revealing new techniques you can use. And they help the not-so-good luaers to learn. So do some research before complaining.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:07 am

wait, did he just criticize zalo?
Anyway, fabulous mod!

Sat May 16, 2009 7:08 am

I think it is funny how Miles has been going around saying that everyone's ego has grown.
As far as I can see, the only person more arrogant than before is him, going around telling everyone how LUA sucks and he can make .ini mods so he's the best.

Little fun things like this are what I wanted lua for.
So thanks Zalo, time to test what happens if I use it in multiplayer.

Sat May 16, 2009 8:17 am

metal chao wrote:
I think it is funny how Miles has been going around saying that everyone's ego has grown.
As far as I can see, the only person more arrogant than before is him, going around telling everyone how LUA sucks and he can make .ini mods so he's the best.

Little fun things like this are what I wanted lua for.
So thanks Zalo, time to test what happens if I use it in multiplayer.

I was in a bad mood and that wasn't the intention of my post. It was primarily to say that A) just adding lua to something that you didn't change, isn't a mod worth releasing, at least make it look different. B) using lua to try to replace ,ini files, by doing the entire thing in lua, is a very bad Idea, and a waste of time.

meanwhile, everyone's using lua to create basic silly stuff that could all be put into a single 'basic lua mods' thread. (with some exceptions, but this is not one of them)

Sat May 16, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I got this mod, but I don't understand the idea of it.
I would rather have some stationary capsule, where you walked it in sped up the game alot, instead of slightly.
And then a stationary capsule that slowed the game down.
That'd be much more useful / nice.

Sat May 16, 2009 6:21 pm
happy carebear mom

Hm... Clockstoppers watch mod...
I suppose you could make one particle slow down time, then have the tracer particle resume it.

Sat May 16, 2009 6:23 pm

I think the idea of this mod is to demonstrate a function that other modders can now take advantage of, in the interest of the community.

Just because somebody releases a mod doesn't always mean they are trying to fan their own ego, some people are genuinely just trying to help everyone out.

I'm sure I'll end up looking at Zalo's mini mods when I get stuck and need reference.

Sat May 16, 2009 6:55 pm

capnbubs wrote:
I think the idea of this mod is to demonstrate a function that other modders can now take advantage of, in the interest of the community.

Just because somebody releases a mod doesn't always mean they are trying to fan their own ego, some people are genuinely just trying to help everyone out.

I'm sure I'll end up looking at Zalo's mini mods when I get stuck and need reference.

i've actually been trying to learn lua since I found out you can do nested if/then statements, and how easy variables are, and I do in a way agree, that things like this are necessary. I'm just saying I don't think mod releases is quite the place for releasing just this. maybe make a mod-making with lua thread and put it there, a sort of 'cool stuff that you can do with lua, that isn't quite a full mod' thread. thats all I was saying.

thats all I was trying to say.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
happy carebear mom

capnbubs wrote:
some people are genuinely just trying to help everyone out.

MADNESS!

Anyway, you can't really hate on Zalo. Ever. It's like hating on a helpful stranger type. You lose your help and feel like a jerk afterward.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:20 pm

First, this mod is cool.
Second, I kinda agree with Miles about the re-sprite thing. Kinda too... simple... or something...

Third (DevLog):
Quote:
That simple! You can attach any data or timers or whatever you wish to the object, and since almost the entire C++ engine is exposed to the Lua state, modders will have a LOT of power to play with! You will be able to come up with completely new, custom logic for how anything and everything should behave. Want homing bullets? Custom AI behavior? Crazy special effects? No problem!

Didn't Data say that? Doesn't that mean there's whatever you are looking for in CC Lua?
please don't flame me

Sat May 16, 2009 7:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next