View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 3D Realms Tanks 

Post 3D Realms Tanks
3D Realms, the unrealised developers of the bubble gum-chewing (all out of gum), arse-kicking, all-American shooter Duke Nukem Forever, have apparently gone belly up.

Kotaku wrote:
We heard from an anonymous tipster earlier today of 3D Realms demise, with Shacknews reporting the very same thing, citing a "very reliable source" close to the Duke Nukem dev. According to 3D Realms co-founder George Broussard, the game was "closing out a milestone this week" as of mid-April, but little progress had been publicized outside of video and screen shot teasers from last Summer.

At first I read this and thought "Oh. Anonymous tipster. HOPE! Possible fake info!"

Theeeeeen...

Kotaku wrote:
Update 1: Take-Two has responded, adding a little clarity to the situation, but not solid confirmation. "It is the Company's policy to not comment on its contractual relationships, nor do we comment on rumors and speculation. That said, we can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title. In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever."‪ - Alan Lewis, Vice President of Corporate Communications & Public Affairs for Take-Two.

Thoughts: "*DESPONDENCY* Aww, man! Wait! This only means they don't have a publisher! They could get another one, right?"

And, then, as if the announcer had called for the economy to "FINISH HIM"...

Kotaku wrote:
Update 2: 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has, posting on the company's forums, seemingly confirmed the closure, saying "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Thoughts: "...Gods, dammit."

And then I posted here, to share my grief.

Enjoy!

- The-Masses

Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile ICQ

Post Re: 3D Realms Tanks
Why are they celebrating? Going under is not a proper time to get tanked.

Fri May 08, 2009 3:56 pm
Profile WWW

so let me see if I have this right. 3d realms was making DNF for take two, and 3d realms went under. Take 2 confirmed that 3d realms is no longer working on it, and then 3d realms, who is no longer working on it confirms that 3d realms is not continuing to work on DNF FOR take two.

Take two has not gone under, and take two has not said that duke nukem forever is canceled, but simply confirmed that 3d realms, who DOES NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO IT, is no longer behind the production of said game.

Take-Two has not gone under, but 3d realms has. As long as Take two is around, duke nukem still has a future. Correct?

---edit---
Ophanim wrote:
Why are they celebrating? Going under is not a proper time to get tanked.

thats not what that means. learn 2 slang. when something tanks, it has hit empty, and died.

Fri May 08, 2009 3:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW

After ten years of mockery and teasers, along with it's original devs going down, I don't think so.
But.

E3, 2011
A mid-level producer has left the stage to allow a larger one on
Power is cut off
Smoke machines on
A flick of a match, and a deep gravelly voice.
"I told you, always bet on Duke."
And then the entire conference center explodes because it's actually the real Duke Nukem.

Fri May 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Sigh.

Fri May 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
(...) Take two has not gone under, and take two has not said that duke nukem forever is canceled, but simply confirmed that 3d realms, who DOES NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO IT, is no longer behind the production of said game.

Take-Two has not gone under, but 3d realms has. As long as Take two is around, duke nukem still has a future. Correct?

Correct. But consider this. How many games have successfully switched from one developer to another so far down the track in it's development? I remember reading somewhere that 3D Realms had "around 70" tasks left to complete before the game was ready to ship. I assume at this point that those were bug fixes or detail work with a few cosmetics. (Probably a gross overstatement, but I believe that the things left behind weren't colossal, months-long things to be completed. This was to be the final days. Hopefully.)

The copy running on the machines at the former 3D Realms is certainly not gold-standard, it's an alpha. At best. In fact, it's most likely pre-alpha. But it's still advanced enough to cause major headaches for any other company that tries to pick it up.

- The-Masses

Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 pm
Profile ICQ

@topic starter
You are first person I know of who cares about it. How long did they produced it, 14 years or more? And honestly all those tiny 'teaser' pics looked like 5 years old game, this would be disaster so its better this way because maybe someone will pick it up and do it properly.

@The-Masses13
I highly doubt that there is anything salvagable in DNF, this game was way too long in production and moved through way too much different engines. Best course of action is to start from scratch, like Bethesda did with Fallout 3. But hey what do I know, I didn't work at 3d Realms :wink: .

Fri May 08, 2009 4:17 pm

I really don't care about DNF. I care about Major Stryker, Raptor: CotS, Crystal Caves, Hocus Pocus, Stargunner, Death Rally, and all the other epic shareware games published under Apogee (their original name) that defined the free time of my childhood.

After hearing of their closure, I tried downloading a bunch of my old favorites and trying to run them. For some reason, Raptor runs very slowly and I'm having trouble finding the rest. To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the fact that most every game I remember from ten years ago was developed by apogee. I guess I got a pack of their shareware or something.

Fri May 08, 2009 6:07 pm

oh hell i remember Death Rally it was hard! and yeah i dont care about DNF too. For too long they were doing the game to keep the hype

Fri May 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Fearful_Ferret wrote:
For some reason, Raptor runs very slowly...

Dosbox should help. I use it all the time. ;)

Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Gotcha! wrote:
Fearful_Ferret wrote:
For some reason, Raptor runs very slowly...

Dosbox should help. I use it all the time. ;)

Already tried it; since my version is the Windows version, it won't run in Dosbox. Also, while we're on the subject of old games, has anyone played Dungeons of the Unforgiven? I'm having some major nostalgia right now.

Time to reinstall Stargunner.

Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm

janekk wrote:
@topic starter
You are first person I know of who cares about it. How long did they produced it, 14 years or more? And honestly all those tiny 'teaser' pics looked like 5 years old game, this would be disaster so its better this way because maybe someone will pick it up and do it properly.

@The-Masses13
I highly doubt that there is anything salvagable in DNF, this game was way too long in production and moved through way too much different engines. Best course of action is to start from scratch, like Bethesda did with Fallout 3. But hey what do I know, I didn't work at 3d Realms :wink: .

Really?

Fri May 08, 2009 9:10 pm
Profile WWW

Looks very salvagable.
Salvagable indeed.

Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Miles I will not address your stupidity instead I will comment on the situation by saying that Duke Nukem Forever would have been a ♥♥♥♥ terrible game.

Fri May 08, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Pixor

I admit I must correct myself here, it looks like crappy 5 years old program for interior designing which was added to some cheap magazine about interior design and pot flowers, not like actual computer game. Textures are horrible (look at that floor, oh god), everything looks like made of plastic (including people, money, and well everything else). .kkrieger which is 5 years old and weights as "much" as 96 kilobytes has better graphics, that says a lot about DNF. (for all people intrested who somehow missed this one here is site: http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger)

Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next