View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Widowmaker - Version 2.1 

Post Re: Widowmaker - Version 2.0
thanks for your help, everyone. i've updated it and (hopefully) fixed most of the problems. tell me what you think. is the handling any better?
Attachment:
Widowmaker ver2.1.rar [977.43 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

update list and download on first post.

Oobagoo - because it makes it's victims wives into widows. and it sounds cool :) by the way, i'm glad you noticed the little eyes.

Last edited by systmh on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:42 pm
Profile WWW

Wait a sec... its a CRAB???

OMG downloaded :D

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Hurray for version 2!!! Trampling is especially fun now that it works better.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:47 pm

The only thing that I really can't stand about this is that when it explodes, a million little particles penetrate my base, not only killing my units but making everything look retarded. It would be nice if these were left out of future versions, or at least they had their sharpness turned down so they wouldn't penetrate metal.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
systmh, please make a ♥♥♥♥ scene with your godly Photoshop skills. I demand mountains and rusted metal!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:59 pm

I've found that the widowmaker is also quite useful for rescue missions!

Uh-oh! Due to bad base design, your only exit is hopelessly blocked by dropship gibs!

And your legion of dummies is trapped within.

Enter: The Widowmaker!

Now your dummies are free to destroy for another day!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

I <3 giant flying siege spiders.
Also, guess where I got my name from.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm

nickfurt666, can you please PM me your FatFont files please? (so i can have those awesome heart replacement thingies)
P.S. - how could i not notice the awesome little red glows in the itsy bitsy eye holes? they are epic!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Post Re: Widowmaker
metal chao wrote:
Kigali wrote:
Before haters like Metal Chao show up I'm going to say that this is fudge amazing.

Actually I never said that any of his sprites weren't amazing.
They are amazing.
They also don't fit with the game at all, and won't until he makes his total conversion.

However I'm still going to download and use this, just as I did the dropship.

Although, now that I've tested it...

The sprites are fine. Because I know you'll ignore me I won't bring it up again. However.
This thing has terrible handling.
It's slow and falls over on any small bump. And the jetpack that could have saved it is much too strong.
This wouldn't matter much if it had a powerful, long-range weapon. But it doesn't.

I don't know about you, but I can't find much use for a slow, hard to control crab THAT CAN ONLY FIRE DOWNWARDS, other than killing a few units in bunkers.
And it isn't even that good at that, because the particles have quite a short lifetime and will only penetrate the first layer.
And the crab obviously can't walk around inside the bunker because it is too big.

I really want to like this mod. I like how it looks, it's a nice design.
But it doesn't really work well enough to be a keeper.

Refit it with a different weapon, or make it easier to move around with and I might give it another go.

don't fit the style? You mean the robots from outer space CC style? I think he's got that done pretty well. Also the whole point of making mods is to modify a game, meaning change it.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Jack said something that make sense... Big sense if you think deeper

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 pm

nickfury666 - damn. why didn't i notice that? that problem was half caused by invisible damage particles emitted by the explosion (didn't wanna clog up the render too much with screen effects) and half by the particles i used to make the 'weak point' attachment kill the actor when it met its gib wound count. i made a(nother) new version. the particles are still there, but they have been modified so that they only mangle actors, not terrain. thanks for pointing that out.

nice rescue mission! now all those dummies are free.. except the couple unforunate ones standing beneath the widow's magma.
muah. muahaa. muahahaha!

Attachment:
Widowmaker ver2.1.rar [977.43 KiB]
Downloaded 187 times

fixes the terrain-raep problem.

czar leopold - uhmm. is he a russian tsar that was particularly bloodthirsty and earned the name widowmaker? idunno. where's it from? :D

Last edited by systmh on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:30 am
Profile WWW

My only real problem with this thing is the equiptment sytem.
The magma bore cool and all but like metal choa said it's usless as a weapon. Also, the jump-jets look great and all but they arn't terribly effective, and icreasing the thrust or life would only over power this moster. Therefore allow me to make a couple recommendations:

1. Ditch the jump-jets. Like I said they look nice but they take up a slot that could be better utilized. Plus, can't Acrabs just climb up walls?
2. Switch the magma bore to the jet-pack function. This will allow the bore a greater arc (more than zero atleast), increasing its effectivness. This will also free up the turret for a much needed weapon.
3. Switch the self-detonate feature to post-gib. Sure now you can't blow it up whenever you want but with if equipt with weapon who would want to?
4. Add a turret. Acid web? Lava spit? Magma bomb? Your smart, you think of something.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 am

Post Re: Widowmaker - Version 2.1
cling clang - good ideas, and i've considered a couple of them already--these are my reasons for designing him like i did:

jump jets--you're right. better jets would overpower it. it has jets to 1.resolve issues when the limb gets stuck in an obstacle and 2. because he's too heavy to climb up walls. if i increased the pushstrength of the limbs (thereby allowing him to climb greater inclines) his legs would sink instead of walk, and he'd be useless. the jump jets take a little time to figure out, but getting good with them is an aquired skill that would give gamers an edge. that has a gameplay appeal.

magma bore being a useless weapon--right again. it's a useless weapon. it's not a weapon though; it's a tool. think of it as a souped-up digger; made for breaching and, like diggers, it busts some heads on occasion. the 'weapon' here is the legs. he's so tough to kill (compared to vanilla actors) that a ranged weapon would push him over balance. the only chance you get to take him out is the time in between the widowmaker seeing you from afar and the widowmaker stomping on your face.

switching self-destruct to post-gib--i really struggled with this one. it was a tough choice to make, mostly because the game's AI automatically reloads the weapon (thereby blowing this guy to bits) of an actor with a half-empty magazine. that makes me sad in the pants. but, the deciding factor is that if you manage to take this thing down with a swarm of peons, the player should not be punished with oblivion, as would happen if it was gib-triggered. the self-destruct must be a conscious decision, strategically used.

addition of a turret: he's got a turret, but it's a null sprite. seemingly redundant, but necessary. as for an actual, honest mobile turret that can shoot at things--that will be a future mod ;)

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:21 am
Profile WWW

systmh wrote:
nickfury666 - damn. why didn't i notice that? that was problem was half caused by invisible damage particles emitted by the explosion (didn't wanna clog up the render too much with screen effects) and half by the particles i used to make the 'weak point' attachment kill the actor when it met its gib wound count. i made a(nother) new version. the particles are still there, but they have been modified so that they only mangle actors, not terrain. thanks for pointing that out.

nice rescue mission! now all those dummies are free.. except the couple unforunate ones standing beneath the widow's magma.
muah. muahaa. muahahaha!

Attachment:
Widowmaker ver2.1.rar

czar leopold - uhmm. is he a russian tsar that was particularly bloodthirsty and earned the name widowmaker? idunno. where's it from? :D

Hurray! Thank you. I put a lot of time and care into my bases, even for tests, and it was saddening to see it all get shat on. Now I'll have much more fun with this :D

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 am

systmh wrote:
nickfury666 - damn. why didn't i notice that? that problem was half caused by invisible damage particles emitted by the explosion (didn't wanna clog up the render too much with screen effects) and half by the particles i used to make the 'weak point' attachment kill the actor when it met its gib wound count. i made a(nother) new version. the particles are still there, but they have been modified so that they only mangle actors, not terrain. thanks for pointing that out.

muah. muahaa. muahahaha!

Attachment:
Widowmaker ver2.1.rar

Nicked my name from an obscure internet RPG.
Also, thanks for fixing terrain rape, I have enough things that do that already :-(

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:11 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next