View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:33 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Widowmaker - Version 2.1 

Post Widowmaker - Version 2.1
update: version 2.1. download below.

Attachment:
[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

fixes:
--digger has more ammo and can burrow deeper, but it bores through earth slightly slower.
--jumpjets should be less powerful now.
--legs have been armored up more, making it harder to kill.
--limbpaths & physical feet have been updated significantly. should handle terrain better.
--feet do more damage to actors, making trampling more feasible.
--there is now a weak point for massive damage located on the underbelly, just inside the aperture for the magma drill thing.
--various small tweaks and revisions that i've all but forgotten the extent of.
--got rid of references to the obsolete null. d'oh!
--ver2.1: got rid of terrain-mangling particles that were doing naughty things like flying through bunkers and cracking brain casings.

Attachment:
Widowmaker ver2.1.rar [977.43 KiB]
Downloaded 1655 times

back again, my controversial sprites and i. this time i've built a spider tank type thing. i've got a ton of ideas sketched up, but this one just called out to me.

my attempt to make something that is strong and yet balanced to a fair degree. this spider tank specializes in trampling the opposition and has the ability to bore into enemy bunkers to destroy units within. in addition, this unit is equipped with short-range jump jets and a powerful self-destruct device, which can be activated by reloading the weapon. it also activates automatically when the weapon's internal power supply is depleted, in hopes of taking out remaining opposition when the unit's usefulness is expired. the self-destruct will not detonate if the unit is killed by enemy fire.

known bugs:
--i'm still not quite satisfied with the limbpaths. is there a good method for working these out? a program for visualizing the footpath, perhaps?
--when dropped upon the battlefield, the actor immediately attacks the enemy if not taken control of. the Widowmaker's aggressiveness circuits are apparently wired for extreme prejudice. the manufacturer is still uncertain as to whether this is a problem or a feature.

credits:
--Azukki for his templates, once again.
--engine blast and explosion sprites modified from metal slug.
--sounds ripped, torn and modified from funcom.
--thanks to numgun and his neato AAL pack for some choice code inspiration.

all sprites except pyrotechnics are my own.
my sprites and code, in this mod as well as anything else i release, are free to anyone to use or modify. just give me a mention and make some imaginative mods.

i started work on a brain bunker (and other bunker modules to follow) like i said last time, but i got a little bored with it. i might complete it next, or i might just go on to something else on my list. who knows.

alright, i'm tired as all hell. goodnight everyone.

Last edited by systmh on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Widowmaker
Good God, man, is that thing crafted of 1s and 0s or the ichor of Zeus himself? Your sprites may be controversial but, damn, are they fun to look at!

Another brilliant piece. Good show.

- The-Masses

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm
Profile ICQ

That... that's not even right... Man, i'm getting motion sickness just looking at it
DL

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Controversial sprites are pretty. Also, I like the weapon, haven't seen anything like that before.

To echo The-Masses, good show.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Good lord, I know what I'll be doing when I get home.

As for limb paths, I don't think anyone is ever satisfied with them. If anyone has it completely figured out, I haven't talked to them... and I'm here a lot.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm
Profile YIM

:shock:

There's nothing more to say!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 pm
I like Crabturrets, Looks okay.

I suppose I'll Review this some more once I get a chance to download it.

Last edited by Tea on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm

The-Masses13 wrote:
Good God, man, is that thing crafted of 1s and 0s or the ichor of Zeus himself? Your sprites may be controversial but, damn, are they fun to look at!

Another brilliant piece. Good show.

- The-Masses
I think the latter would be true.

Before haters like Metal Chao show up I'm going to say that this is ♥♥♥♥ amazing and I have never seen anything so orgasmicly pleasing to my ocular recepticles. Well that's not true but this runs a close third.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm

That explosion is...beautiful.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:42 pm

You just gave me another reason to play CC again.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
GOOD GRAVY look at the size of that thing!

I think you need to make an entire menacing army with these controversial sprites. Woohoo for yoo!!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Wow.
I can't actually comprehend why people don't like your spriting, it might not fit in with the "style" but when is that ever important, unless you're some graphics fanboy?
Anyway, I was getting tired of the Dreadnaught's puny little legs, so this will be nice to use.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Kigali wrote:
Before haters like Metal Chao show up I'm going to say that this is fudge amazing.

Actually I never said that any of his sprites weren't amazing.
They are amazing.
They also don't fit with the game at all, and won't until he makes his total conversion.

However I'm still going to download and use this, just as I did the dropship.

Although, now that I've tested it...

The sprites are fine. Because I know you'll ignore me I won't bring it up again. However.
This thing has terrible handling.
It's slow and falls over on any small bump. And the jetpack that could have saved it is much too strong.
This wouldn't matter much if it had a powerful, long-range weapon. But it doesn't.

I don't know about you, but I can't find much use for a slow, hard to control crab THAT CAN ONLY FIRE DOWNWARDS, other than killing a few units in bunkers.
And it isn't even that good at that, because the particles have quite a short lifetime and will only penetrate the first layer.
And the crab obviously can't walk around inside the bunker because it is too big.

I really want to like this mod. I like how it looks, it's a nice design.
But it doesn't really work well enough to be a keeper.

Refit it with a different weapon, or make it easier to move around with and I might give it another go.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Oh, wow, this is awesome. I can't wait to try it out. Seriously, great work.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm

You draw excellent sprites, that is for sure. They do happen to slightly fit in with the heavy-industrial robot faction. So just to get that out of the way, beautiful artwork. Love the gibs.

But the mod lacks a clever function, something that makes it really fun. Part of this could be blamed on the game and the clumsiness of 4 legged actors, but it's too hard to even kill anything with the Widowmaker (Too much Resistance? :P). For one, the legs dont seem to crush actors, more like push them away.

For something this big, you need to make the legs and hull have very high mass. Legs are around the weight of a flak cannon. High mass legs guarantees crushing. I also see you had specialized attachments to prevent the body from getting stuck or flying out of control, but it is foiled by hilly terrain and clumsy crab hardcode. Another thing is it's odd mouth weapon.. by the time I get a clone underneath me, some unfortunate rolling incident would have pushed him far under the terrain.

Finally, I see you made a grand finale when the widowmaker finally bites it. Which is too easy, fell prey to an SMG. Suggest harder material and armor plates on every part of it's body, or perhaps incredibly dense armor plates and one unarmored weakpoint. Some of the explosion sprites are metal slug rips, which is fine in most cases but you selected the explosion sprites that are more suitable to a bomb hitting the ground, not suitable for flaming shrapnel flying through the air. The clusterbomb-like shrapnel effect is nice too, by the way. Since you have great spriting skill, the modding forum desperately could use a pack of custom explosions.

In any case, I eagerly await a scene by you.

EDIT:
Quote:
//////// jesus, these limbpaths are a ♥♥♥♥♥. ////////
//////// isn't there a better way of doing this? ////////

You can use the actor editor to test the actor and reload the .ini, thus test limbpaths easier.. without starting a game everytime you make changes.

On further investigation, the bad breath attack it has, is apparently supposed to have firey embers coming out. This is not the case in the version I downloaded. Intentional?

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next