View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Same team actor collisions. 

Post Re: Same team actor collisions.
I agree with Falcon X, BUT if we think realistically it becomes rather difficult if not impossible to implement. What he is suggesting is 5 different planes in CC which would add to the lag more than five times. You would really need a truly next gen computer to handle such a game as all the explosions would fly in all directions thus making it more CPU intensive.

Im not an expert in coding and such so even thugh i love the idea im rather sceptical in the actual execution of it.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:41 am
Profile WWW

bolter wrote:
I agree with Falcon X, BUT if we think realistically it becomes rather difficult if not impossible to implement. What he is suggesting is 5 different planes in CC which would add to the lag more than five times. You would really need a truly next gen computer to handle such a game as all the explosions would fly in all directions thus making it more CPU intensive.

Im not an expert in coding and such so even thugh i love the idea im rather sceptical in the actual execution of it.

To clear this up, I really said only 3, because 1 and 5 would be the left and right walls, not really drawn in.

To maybe clear up memory usage, I thought maybe less pixels, refined pixel physics, and the like.

Really it would be CC, with a foreground and background added. But yea it would be three times the CC.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Well, 3 but it still is rather much to think, take the amount of pixels now and then triple it.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:50 am
Profile WWW

Here is an Idea,when an actor tries to move through anothe actor,the one being moved into goes to backround untill the other one passes,he can still be hit but he cannot shoot or perform actions,then he moves back.Thatway we dont have this laggy layering crap.

Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 am
Profile YIM

Maybe collision groups? A, B, and C. A touches A. B touches B. C touches C. Fat units collide with two or three groups.

Sun May 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I've fixed it using djinns suggestion. They cann walk right through eachother now which is what I wanted =]

Sun May 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Pseudo 3d in the gameplay of vanilla CC would be terrible in my opinion.

Although, yes, friendly actors should be able to walk past each other, but should collide when one is out of control. And standing side by side, they should push each other out of the way.

Sun May 18, 2008 8:46 pm

I think, if any, we should use Electro's idea, most realistic and probably the easiest to implement.

Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Falcon X wrote:
bolter wrote:

To clear this up, I really said only 3, because 1 and 5 would be the left and right walls, not really drawn in.

To maybe clear up memory usage, I thought maybe less pixels, refined pixel physics, and the like.

Really it would be CC, with a foreground and background added. But yea it would be three times the CC.

It's a good idea, I think, but it'd be a bit of a farce actually changing layers constantly. Maybe only have it inside bunker modules too?

Thu May 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Falcon X wrote:
Depth

My idealist idea is a 3 layer depth. Really, 5 layers, the 1st and 5th being walls.

The 2nd layer is the left [or right, shut up] side of a room. 3rd is duh, middle, and 4th is the other left or right.

Each level is independent of the next in terms of gunfire, small objects, rubble, debris, and actors. Explosions, Grenades, weapon spreads, and the like will affect other layers though.

Hallways would be wide, narrow, half narrow, of anything in between. This would enable insanely cool pseudo-3D environments, without ruining game play.

Now, unless CC gets an intense memory reduction [Meaning it gets less intensive on the RAM and Processor] this will be usable on only good rigs or small maps.

But, think of the possibilities! Barriers would be usable, but not ruin mobility. Grenades would actually matter more, and destruction would be more intense!

Actors in a deeper standing could be darkened [Glows maybe, no idea] Actors in the foreground would be transparent, as indicators of depth. Actors could independently change depth via AI programming, or ect. for intense cover oriented firefights.

This is a far off dream, but a good one I think.

Eh... I disagree with this. Cortex Command is a very detailed game as is. With each pixel being independently tracked with the engine (except the ones that are part of the terrain of course), it already lags as is. Honestly, having 3 layers may not seem difficult on the outside, but the game would crap up fast. Besides, having to constantly switch between layers to manage troops doesn't fit in with the fast paced action of CC.

CC is like Cavestory, what this several layer thing would do is make it more like Rainbow Six Vegas. While introducing such things as dynamic layers to the engine seems like a simple adjustment, it wouldn't fit in with the gameplay. Honestly, CC would have to become slower paced to use this feature to its full potential.

Also, interaction between the layers would become to difficult. I believe that a simple application of the TF2 collision would work better. Bullets would still hurt your own teammates of course.

Quote:
Although, yes, friendly actors should be able to walk past each other, but should collide when one is out of control.

I agree, being able to knock back an actor onto his brethren would be pretty sweet.

Thu May 22, 2008 11:10 pm

Coded One wrote:
would be pretty sweet.

Would be?
You can do that now.

Fri May 23, 2008 12:44 am

Hehe, you know what I mean, being able to do so and still walk past other friendly actors.

Fri May 23, 2008 11:25 pm

It would be good if enemies pushed you over when you get to close or rifle butt/pistol whipped you if armed.

Sat May 24, 2008 11:16 pm

now we have to actually wait for this fabled lua to come into play..been what 4 months now?

Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:41 am
Profile WWW

Actually, build 20 was released in January, so it's been about 6 months.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next