View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Invisible particles? 

Post Invisible particles?
Has this ever happened to you? (While Playing Cortex Command):

You are flying around with a unit, and you end up colliding with an invisible wall. You try going aroung it, and you realize it is only a certain size. You can stand on it, crash into it, and do everything you can do with any other element of the game. You can even shoot it!

This has never happenned to you? Well, to show proof, here are a few pictures (the pictures you will see all come from the same skirmish, but I have encountered the problem about five times up to now in different games):

In this one, I was flying around with my MPAM, and suddenly it collided with something in the air, then exploded and its particles stayed up in the air. Weird, uh?

A while later, I decided to invetigate with another MPAM. Here is what is saw. It stood there, above seemingly nothing.

Sick of this nonsense, I decided to fly around to the other side of the map... only to collide with another invisible force field.

I remind you of my question: Has this ever happened to you? Do you have any idea how to fix it?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:32 am

Post Re: Invisible particles?
it is like 2 or 3 particles stuck in the air(my guess)
I'm surprised that your guy explodes from such an inpact

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Hum... actually it can't be just two or three particles, because I shot it a few times (about twenty with an automated shotgun) and it was still there, only it had less particles forming it. And I think it exploded because I reduced the MPAM's resistance to make it less powerful. But thanks for the opinion anyway!

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 am

Well, if it had less particles than before it started, then I assume that you partially destroyed it. Btw, Use a more powerful weapon that will cover more area(like the drill)

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 am

It's been know that when you select a door in the BYOB mode and give it enough time to close (without actually placing it mind you), it will make an invisible block where it was.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:01 am
Profile WWW

No_0ne wrote:
It's been know that when you select a door in the BYOB mode and give it enough time to close (without actually placing it mind you), it will make an invisible block where it was.

Ahh... then I'll be guessing that's what happenned, since I had been door-digging. :3

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:44 am

I'm guessing this has something to do with why actors collide so well with still doors.

Maybe the doors make some kind of invisible terrain object from the atomgroup of the door while they are still, that collides with atomgroup objects, so you can shoot the door attachable, but walk on the terrain object, and it disappears when the door moves or gibs or whatever.

Hmm... This gives me an idea...

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 am
Azukki wrote:
Hmm... This gives me an idea...

Please, do let us in on it.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 am

An entire bunker made of nonmoving ADoor doors that can be gibbed into chunks rather than being terrain, but also can be walked around in and whatnot.

But it's not working well, from what I tried. On a large scale they seem to collide very poorly, but I might be doing something wrong with the atomgroups.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]